Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Honoring Family War Veterans in 2014

Since today is November 11 - Veteran's Day, I decided I'd celebrate by honoring some family members I discovered while doing family history work. Unfortunately, this short list really isn't fair; I only have access to draft records, and I can't guarantee that I've found draft registrations for all the people I've researched. Additionally, there are an unknown number of people who likely enlisted and also certainly deserve to be honored and remembered for their service today. Unfortunately, until I find a way to know of their enlistment, or I find stories about them somewhere, I'll have no way to give them proper recognition.

Still, I felt it was important to do what I can, so, without further ado and in no particular order, here's the list of people I've found in the last several months who had draft registrations for the Civil War, WWI and WWII:

Edgar Alexander Raber 1891-1972, WWI, WWII
Edgar Daniel Beck     1895-1980, WWI, WWII
David Richard Anthony          1839-1922, Civil War (Union/Pennsylvania)
Thomas Reuben Green   1892-1968, WWI, WWII
Victor Firnley Wert   1875-1958, WWI
Jacob Hahn            1887-1971, WWI, WWII
Quinton Edwin Hahn    1891-1970, WWI, WWII
Rudy Wagner           1895-1931, WWI
George J Wagner       1882-?   , WWII


These are distant relatives of Granpa Bernie's Aunt Hallie. Let us put hand over heart and recognize the service and sacrifice of members of our family who put their lives on hold - and on the line - to defend a great nation!

UPDATE:

Today (November 13, 2014) I found more information about David Richard Anthony and his service in the Civil War. He served in the Pennsylvania Infantry, 143rd Regiment, Company B from August 26, 1862 to June 12, 1865. He died and received a military burial in Los Angeles, California in October of 1922.


No comments:

Post a Comment