Thursday, August 28, 2014

Kynslie and Daddy Home Alone

Today, little Kynslie and I woke up not feeling so well. She had a nose that was so runny it would need wiping all day long, and I had a sore throat and a headache and not a whole lot of energy.

After not a whole lot of debate, I ended up deciding it would be best for me to stay home. I suggested to Shelley that Kynslie ought to probably stay home as well. Shelley could take Owen and Livvy to church, and I'd stay here with the baby. After getting dressed, Shelley came down and got a good look at Kynslie. Instantly, she knew what I was talking about. Kynslie didn't feel so great either. She'd need to stay home with Daddy.

After Shelley and the kiddos left for church, I put Kynslie down for a long nap while I watched a family-oriented show on TV. When Kynslie woke up, she was a happy little thing. Her face was a slimy mess and needed wiping, so I took care of that and changed her diaper, then we headed down stairs. I lay or sat on the floor watching TV while Kynslie crawled around, finding things to play with. At one point, I caught her behind the lamp table next to the couch. Little did I know at the time that while she was there she had managed to steal my glasses and leave them on the floor.

She happily ate her yogurt that I gave her for lunch, and then topped off with a handful of Froot Loops for good measure.

After lunch, I found another TV show, but played with her a little bit. She'd crawl away from me, looking for some trouble to get into. I'd pretend to growl at her, "Hey you, where do you think you're going!" I'd grab her leg or her little foot and pull her gently back and tickle her. She'd laugh, knowing I'd caught her and she wasn't getting away. She'd try to get away again anyway, and I'd pull back again. More laughter. We played Legos for a minute, but then she got bored and headed toward the kitchen again. I don't know how many times I had to pull her away from the garbage can, or stop her from going upstairs by herself - I even had to get her out of the bathroom before she got to the toilet!

Shelley and the kids got home from church, had some lunch, and then left again for Grandma Julie's birthday party. Again, Kynslie and I stayed home.

I ate some leftover rice and broccoli-chicken stir fry and shared some with Kynslie. She gobbled it up - she was quite happy to feed herself. Big surprise! After dinner, I cut up some watermelon for her. I don't know how much of it she ate and how much she played with, but by the time she was done, she was all watermelon from head to toe! I took off her one-sie and scrubbed her down, then figured I'd let

I put on yet another show and rested on the floor while Kynslie crawled around. Every now and then I'd hear her let out this pathetic sort of cry. I'd look over and invite  her to come sit with Daddy, but she just looked at me with this forlorn expression. Her face all slimy once again from her nose, she looked so miserable! Finally, I decided it would cheer her up considerably - and probably help her feel better - to sit in a warm bath. She got a big kick out of having the bathtub all to herself. She didn't have to share toys, space, or Daddy's attention with kids who were bigger and louder than her.

She kept trying to roll over on the changing table while I put a one-sie on her, reaching for lotion and diapers above her head. Her kicking and squirming made it impossible to get a diaper on her - par for the course when you're changing Kynslie!

Once she was all dressed, I put her sleep sack on her and gave her a binki. It didn't take long to rock her to sleep, with her little arms folded up over her face. She seemed so at peace as she slept in my arms. I couldn't help thinking she's the most adorable little thing in the whole world. I felt a special sort of closeness to her right then. We'd spent half the day together yesterday, even going for a walk to the store and to get ice cream, and now we'd spent pretty much our whole Sunday together, playing and laughing and trying to feel better. She was my little buddy. "Night-night Kynslie." I whispered as I lay her in her crib. She was so tired she barely moved a muscle. I hoped she'd feel better in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment