Monday, June 24, 2013

What's It Like to Become a Mormon - Jacky


Some time ago, a friend of my wife - Jacky - began showing some interest in the Church. Over time, she visited with the missionaries and and attended meetings on Sunday. She eventually ended up deciding she wanted to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

This is her story:

Jacky, Wausau Stake, Rhinelander Ward, Wisconsin, United States


It all began about a year ago now.  I found myself soulfully searching and questioning my current faith.  I was an active member in my church at the time but noticed there were changes being made in the church that did not coincide with my understanding of the scriptures and what I knew in my heart was right.  They were deciding they needed to "change with the times" and change doctrine on things like homosexuality.  
I decided it was time for a change in churches and I started doing my research.  After months of attending many different local churches something was still missing.  I found myself suddenly drawn to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints but knew nothing about how to investigate the church.  I contacted a dear friend and spoke with her about the Church, the Gospel, and different aspects of the LDS church.  After prayerfully considering my options, I took the plunge and went to the local ward one Sunday morning and in that moment my life changed!
I met with the missionaries for several weeks and they taught me many things about the Gospel and the Church.  They asked me during our second visit if I was interested in baptism and with out hesitation I said "yes".  After I headed home it hit me: "Why did you say 'yes'?!"  I didn't really didn't know enough yet; was I really ready?  I had a moment of panic, immediately followed by a sense of peace.  It was that peace that started the transformation.  Here I was, making a significant change in my life, and I was very calm about it, which is not really like me at all.  I later came to understand that peace was really the presence of the Spirit. What a beautiful gift our Father has given us!
While there were many things that I learned during the lessons with the missionaries I never really questioned what I was taught.  I prayed about our lessons and continually received the affirmation of the the Spirit that what I was taught was true.  Some of the principles I knew were going to be harder to implement than others but I was committed to living the doctrine taught to me.  

The concept that intrigued me and touched me closest was the way the church and Gospel approached family.  I knew then that I wanted an eternal family and I knew what I had to do to have one.  Another driving force was the fact that suddenly I had answers to questions I had thought about for years and the answers made sense: Why are we here?  What was before came before this life and what would happen after this life?  How could the Father, the Son, and the Spirit all be one being?  And many many more.
As we finished the lessons, it came time to enter into my first covenant: baptism.  I was very much ready, but a bundle of nerves.  What if I failed? What if my family and friends were right and this was a bad idea? What if I wasn't ready for these sacred covenants?  I expressed my feelings to the missionaries and members of the ward I had become close with and was quickly reassured I was ready and the adversary was at work.  The day of my baptism came, and while none of my family or friends attended, I was surrounded by so much love from my new ward family.  I was overcome with emotion that these wonderful people could be so supportive and it simply reaffirmed that this was a group of people I wanted to be like. 

 I can not put into words the feelings I experienced during my Baptism and Confirmation, it was a beautiful experience that I will cherish forever. 
I have now been a member for about nine months and I am more then happy with my choice to convert.  It has not always been easy - after all, we are all a work in progress.  I, however, now have these wonderful "tools" to help me progress through the good and bad.  I love knowing the things I do now; the Gospel really has made life a little easier.  I have a more positive outlook on life, because I know the blessing in store if I am obedient to my Heavenly Father.  I have places to go for answers, such as the scriptures and prayer.
I have been asked many times since my conversion by my family and friends: What if you are wrong? What if this isn't the "true church"?  My response? It is still offering me a better quality of life than I had before.  Is it a bad thing even with out the "religious" part of it?  So I don't drink anymore, I strive to make more time for my family, I try to be an overall better person, and finally my question to them, "What if it is?"
I leave you with my still very young testimony, I know it is true.  I know Jesus is the Christ and he died for our sins.  I know the Book of Mormon is true and that it can be a wonderful tool in our progression.  I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and he restores the Church to the Earth in these latter days.  I know we have a prophet on the Earth today, President Thomas S. Monson.  I also know that if we are faithful to our covenants and do the work before us we can be with Our Heavenly Father and our families forever, and that is a beautiful gift.